The vacation rental market is becoming more and more competitive every day.
Having your own website not only helps your properties stand out, but it can also increase profit margins, by removing booking fees from the equation.
And the good news? It’s never been easier to create a website.
Not only are there more website builders than you could ever count, but there are also several vacation rental-specific website builders, made just for you, with your exact business needs in mind.
Based on our years of experience, we’ve put together this list of the best vacation rental website builders. Read our reviews below to help you find the perfect website builder (or combination of them) for your specific needs and style.
Top 5 Best Website Builders for Vacation Rental Owners & Property Managers
- Lodgify – Best for Property Managers. Comes with tons of features like built-in booking engine and channel manager.
- OwnerRez – Best value. Comes with tons of automation and integration features. Only pay for the features you want. Limited website builder features.
- Wix – Most Flexible.
- Squarespace – Best for non-booking websites. Best design.
- WordPress (with SiteGround and MotoPress) – Cheapest. Limitless possibilities and options. Most DIY.
Do You Want to Take Direct Bookings?
Before you start building a website for your vacation rental, it’s important to consider if you want to take direct bookings.
Pros of Direct Bookings
- No more booking fees – lower your prices by 5% – 15% or more, or keep those fees for yourself
- Diversify your marketing and sales – stop relying on OTAs like Airbnb and VRBO to bring you guests
- More complex – it can be simpler to just list your property in one place
- Insurance – you really should have your own vacation rental insurance anyway, but taking direct bookings means you are solely responsible for injury or damages
If you decide to take direct bookings, you will need a direct booking engine, and possibly a channel manager. If you don’t want to take direct bookings, then you can really use pretty much any website builder you want.
With all this in mind, let’s jump into the individual website builders.
Lodgify is one of the most popular vacation rental website builders on the market today. They are trying to establish themselves as “the Shopify for vacation rentals.” Their strength is in their backend features, and not in their web design or blogging features. But if you are looking for a basic website with a ton of automation features and integrations that will make your life easier, Lodgify is one of the best options available.
- Built-in booking engine and channel manager
- Tons of integrations and automation features
- Limited number of well designed website templates
- Relatively expensive
Our Lodgify Recommendation
We think you should check out Lodgify if:
- You are a property manager or owner of multiple properties
- You want a central hub (channel manager) where you can easily manage pricing and property details across all your listing sites
- You like the design of their website templates
If that sounds like you, start your Lodgify 7 day free trial.
OwnerReservations or OwnerRez is quietly growing a very committed user base because of their robust feature set, low price, and responsive customer service. Even more so than with Lodgify, their strength is in their backend features, and not in their web design. The website builder is quite basic, giving you a very simple (but clean and attractive) website. Here’s an example of an OwnerRez hosted website.
- Tons of automation features
- Excellent customer service
- Affordable price for the value, and only pay for the features you want
- Quickbooks integration
- Limited website builder features
- Bit of a learning curve to get set up
Our OwnerRez Recommendation
OwnerRez might be perfect for you if:
- You are a property manager who makes commission payouts to property owners – (check out the Propery Management feature)
- You want to automate a lot of your booking processes
- You are fine with a simple website template
As we said, OwnerRez users tend to be very satisfied, committed customers. If you like the sound of some of their features, then start your 14 day trial at OwnerRez.
Wix has exploded in popularity in recent years. They have a ton of templates, and features that can be added to make virtually any kind of website you can think of. For vacation rental owners and property managers, they have a range of “travel & tourism” related website templates that are perfect for showing off your properties and integrating a booking calendar.
As one example, this Loft City Apartments template has everything you need to showcase your properties.
- Affordable price
- Lots of template options
- Tons of ways to customize and add features to your site
- Requires some set up to take direct bookings
- No built-in channel manager
Our Wix Recommendation
You should check out Wix if:
- You either have only a few properties to manage, you plan to integrate with another vacation rental software for direct bookings, or you aren’t planning to take direct bookings. Wix also has a channel manager, designed primarily for hotels, called Wix Hotels.
- You’ve found a website template that you like
If Wix looks good to you, then get started with a 14 day Wix trial.
If you haven’t really loved any of the templates you’ve seen so far, then you might be interested in Squarespace. Squarespace is known for their beautiful design.
If you want the Squarespace aesthetic, but with more booking features, there are ways you can do this. You can either use Lodgify’s Squarespace integration, or you can set up your Squarespace site, and have a “Book Now” link which links to any other direct booking software. This could be a Lodgify or OwnerRez website, or a booking software like Eviivo.
- Beautiful website template designs
- Easy to use
- Requires third-party software (and an additional subscription) to take direct bookings
- No built-in channel manager
Our Squarespace Recommendation
Squarespace is probably the best fit for you if:
- You aren’t planning to take direct bookings (or you are planning to handle it with a separate vacation rental software)
- You like the look of Squarespace website templates
Choose a template and start your free Squarespace trial.
Last, but certainly not least, is WordPress. By some estimates, WordPress powers over 30% of the internet. It’s open source software, free to use, and has an incredibly large base of users and developers working to make it better all the time.
To set up a WordPress site for your vacation rental business, you need
- a hosting subscription (somewhere your website can “live”)
- a vacation rental WordPress theme
- a direct booking WordPress plugin
- Almost limitless options to customize your website
- Tons of plugins and themes to choose from
- Can be very inexpensive, depending on your hosting, theme, and plugins
- Requires technical know-how and setup work
Our WordPress Recommendation
We recommend WordPress if:
- You are willing to do some research and learning to set up your site (or you plan to hire someone to build a custom website for you)
- You want to truly “own” your website and be able to customize it with no limits
If you’re looking for someone to build a custom website for you, we can help! Contact us for a no-pressure quote.
Which One is Best For You?
In our opinion, these are the best websites to create a short-term rental website. There are others, but one of these (or a combination of 2) should fit your needs.
Do any of these stand out to you? Need help deciding? Contact us and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you have.