If you’re looking for a vacation rental WordPress theme (and plugins) that can handle direct bookings, you have a few different options. In this post, we’re featuring the vacation rental themes and plugins from MotoPress, which we recommend for most clients who want to create a direct booking website on WordPress.
MotoPress Themes & Plugins
MotoPress is one of the most popular standalone options for vacation rental WordPress themes and plugins. You don’t need any other subscription (like Lodgify, etc.), and you can create a direct booking vacation rental website.
They have several theme options, but we recommend their newest theme Booklium. Combined with their Hotel Booking plugin, it has everything you need to create a beautiful, direct booking website on WordPress.
The MotoPress Hotel Booking plugin is originally designed for hotels (and thus has a few quirks, like how you create new properties vs. rooms), but the new Booklium theme itself is designed and geared towards vacation rentals.
As more and more vacation rental owners have started using MotoPress, they have begun to focus more on features and design that benefit vacation rental owners, rather than just hotels.
How to Create a Vacation Rental Website with WordPress
Here are the steps to create your direct booking website with
- Get WordPress hosting (We recommend Cloudways or SiteGround)
- Install WordPress (Cloudways instructions or SiteGround instructions)
- Purchase the MotoPress Plugin & Theme (We recommend the MotoPress Membership, so you don’t have to buy the plugins and theme individually)
- Customize your site design
- Set up bookings, payments, and calendar sync. (This MotoPress tutorial explains the steps)
A List of Options for Taking Vacation Rental Bookings on WordPress
Other than MotoPress, there aren’t currently tons of solid options for WordPress plugins and themes designed for direct booking vacation rental websites. Here’s a running list:
- MotoPress Hotel Booking (Designed for hotels originally, but adding more and more features for vacation rentals)
- VikWP (Similar option to MotoPress Hotel Booking)
- Lodgify WordPress Plugin (Requires an active Lodgify account)
- OwnerRez (Requires active OwnerRez account. Uses widgets, not a plugin.)
All of these plugins can connect with your VRBO or Airbnb booking calendars via the iCal calendar system. So your website can sync with your Airbnb and VRBO calendars.
Again, in our opinion, if you’re looking for a standalone WordPress theme and plugin that can handle direct bookings, we recommend the Booklium theme from MotoPress. Used with the Hotel Booking Plugin (which you can purchase together with a Membership), you can set up a self-hosted, direct-booking WordPress site for your vacation rental.
If you have any questions about setting up a website for your vacation rental (WordPress or otherwise), contact us and we’d be happy to answer your questions!